Collapse
X

• فیلتر
  • زمان
  • نمایش
پاک کردن همه

to split hairs_to make fine distinctions

وارد جزئيات کم اهميت شدن_موشکافي کردن

The mother and child spent a great deal of time arguing about the hair_splitting question of whether "going to bed" meant light out or not.

مادر و کودک زوان زيادي را صرف بحث درباره ي جزئيات اين مطلب کردند که آيا"به رخت خواب برو" به معناي خاموش شدن چراغ است يا نه؟

to strike while the iron is hot_to take an action at the right moment

تا تنور داغ است،نان را بچسبان_تا فرصت باقي است کاري را انجام دادن

As soon as John heard that his father had won in the lottery, he struck while the iron was hot and asked for an increase in his allowance

جان بلافاصله پس از شنيدن اين که پدرش لاتاري را برده است، از فرصت استفاده کرده و تقاضاي افزايش ماهيانه اش را کرد

loaded for bear_to be well prepared

کاملا آماده بودن

When the enemy finally attacked the positions, the defenders were loaded for bear

سر انجام هنگامي که دشمن به موضع نظامي حمله کرد،مدافعان کاملا آماده بودن
    کاغذ سفید را هر چقدر هم زیبا و تمیز باشد کسی قاب نمیگیرد...برای ماندگاری در ذهن ها باید حرفی برای گفتن داشت!!!

نظر

to bring down the house_to cause great enthusiasm

موجب به شور و شوق آمدن حضار شدن

Popular entertainers can be counted on to bring down the house at every public performance

می توان مطمئن بود که هنر پیشگان محبوب،در هر اجرای عمومی شور و شوق زیادی به وجود می آوردند

to pull one's wight_to do a fair share of the work

سهم خود را انجام دادن

Everyone in a pioneer family had to pull his or her own weight

در یک خانواده ی قدیمی،هر کس باید به سهم خود در کارها شرکت داشت

a white elephant_a costly and useless possession

هر چیز گران،پر هزینه و بی ارزش

When he discovered the 30_volume encyclopedia, dated 1895, in his attic, he knew he had a white elephant on his hands

هنگامی که وی دایره المعارف 30 جلدی، مورخ 1895 را در اتاق زیر شیروانی اش پیدا کرد،دریافت که چیز بی فایده در دستان خود دارد
      کاغذ سفید را هر چقدر هم زیبا و تمیز باشد کسی قاب نمیگیرد...برای ماندگاری در ذهن ها باید حرفی برای گفتن داشت!!!

نظر

a fly in the ointment_some small thing that spoils or lessens the enjoyment

هر چيز کوچکي که لذت يا خوشايندي چيزي را از بين برده يا کم مي کند

He was offered a lucrative position with the firm, but the fly in the ointment was that he would have to work on Saturday and Sunday

موقعيت سودآوري در شرکت به وي پيشنهاد شد،اما آن چه از خوشايند بودن اين شغل کم ميکرد اين بود که او مجبور بود روزهاي شنبه و يکشنبه هم کار کند

Achilles heel_weak spot

پاشنه آشيل_نقطه ضعف

He wanted to lead an ascetic life, but his obsession with liquor was his Achilles heel

او مي خواست زندگي پرهيزکارانه اي را در پيش گيرد، اما شيفتگي او به مشروب،نقطه ضعفش بود

on the bandwagon_joining with the majority; going along with the trend

ملحق شدن به اکثريت_در يک مسير قرار گرفتن_سوار گاري شدن

Most advertisements showing many people using a product hope to convince the viewer to get on the bandwagon buy the item

اکثر تبليغاتي که استفاده از يک محصول را به مردم نشان مي دهند، اميد وارند که بينندگان را متقاعد نمايند که به اکثريت ملحق شده و محصول را خريداري کنند

نظر

out of one's depth_in a situation that is too difficult to handle

در موقعیتی که تحملش از توان شخص خارج است_شرایطی بیش از حد فهم یا دانش شخص

We thought he knew the ropes, but we found him behind the eight ball because he was out of his depth

ما فکر کردیم او راه و چاه را بلد است اما او را در شرایط بدی یافتیم زیرا او توان تحمل آن موقعیت را نداشت

to leave no stone unturned_to try one's best, to make every effort

به هر دری زدن_تمام تلاش خود را انجام دادن

Since you're from Missouri, I'll leave no stone unturned to convince you

از آنجاییکه شما اهل میسوری هستید،برای قانع کردن شما به هر دری خواهم زد

tongue in one's cheek_not to be sincere

صادق نبودن_شوخی کردن

John's father surely had his tongue in his cheek when he told his son to go sow wild oats and to kick over the traces at his kindergarten party

مطمئنا پدر جان هنگامی که به پسرش گفت که در جشن مهد کودک خود عیاشی و خوش گذرانی کند،شوخی کرده بود

نظر

کاسه داغتر از آش
            مسلمونتر از پیغمبر

More catholic than pope

دست بالای دست بسیار است

I saw a saw that saw a saw

first saw=past form of see
            second saw=اره
            3rd saw=بریدن
            4th saw=اره

نظر

Lose one's shirt
              ضرر کردن

I happened to bump into Doug at lunch yesterday afternoon
              What's new with Doug these days?
              He wasn't doing so well. For one thing he told me he lost his shirt at the races.
              Doug has always liked to bet on the horses. I'm not surprised that he lost a great deal of money.
              Yeah. at this rate he'll never have penny to his name
              انتشارات زبان ملل
              یکی از قدیمترین ناشران کتب تخصصی زبان بوده واز سال 1378 فعالیت چاپ و نشر کتابهای آموزشی و کمک آموزشی زبان را آغاز نموده است.

نظر

well, hi. i'm kinda new here
                i dont know how everything works around here
                but i'm gonna ask anyway, so....
                what does this mean?
                "lust in translation"
                thank you

نظر

Dear friend!
                  Welcome here! We hope you enjoy our site.

Lust in translation
                  Means:
                  desire, or a very strong enjoyment in translation.

Good luck!

I believed my wisdom
                  ... Killed the whys as I grew ... Yet the time has taught me ... The whys are grown too
                  Angel

Click to Read My Other Poems

نظر

صبر کنید ..
                  X