• نمایش
پاک کردن همه

• No Man's an Island

John Donne

MEDITATION XVII.

NUNC LENTO SONITU DICUNT, MORIERIS.

Now this bell tolling softly for another,
    says to me, Thou must die.

PERCHANCE he for whom this bell tolls may be so ill as that he knows not it tolls for him. And perchance I may think myself so much better than I am, as that they who are about me, and see my state, may have caused it to toll for me, and I know not that. The church is catholic, universal, so are all her actions; all that she does, belongs to all. When she baptizes a child, that action concerns me; for that child is thereby connected to that head which is my head too, and ingraffed into that body, whereof I am a member. And when she buries a man, that action concerns me; all mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated; God employs several translators; some pieces are translated by age, some by sickness, some by war, some by justice; but God's hand is in every translation, and his hand shall bind up all our scattered leaves again, for that library where every book shall lie open to one another; as therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come; so this bell calls us all: but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness.

There was a contention as far as a suit (in which, piety and dignity, religion and estimation, were mingled) which of the religious orders should ring to prayers first in the morning; and it was determined, that they should ring first that rose earliest. If we understand aright the dignity of this bell, that tolls for our evening prayer, we would be glad to make it ours, by rising early, in that application, that it might be ours as well as his, whose indeed it is. The bell doth toll for him, that thinks it doth; and though it intermit again, yet from that minute, that that occasion wrought upon him, he is united to God. Who casts not up his eye to the sun when it rises? But who takes off his eye from a comet, when that breaks out? who bends not his ear to any bell, which upon any occasion rings? But who can remove it from that bell, which is passing a piece of himself out of this world?

No man is an island. entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

Neither can we call this a begging of misery, or a borrowing of misery, as though we were not miserable enough of ourselves, but must fetch in more from the next house, in taking upon us the misery of our neighbors. Truly it were an excusable covetousness if we did; for affliction is a treasure, and scarce any man hath enough of it. No man hath affliction enough, that is not matured and ripened by it, and made fit for God by that affliction. If a man carry treasure in bullion or in a wedge of gold, and have none coined into current moneys, his treasure will not defray him as he travels. Tribulation is treasure in the nature of it, but it is not current money in the use of it, except we get nearer and nearer our home, heaven, by it. Another may be sick too, and sick to death, and this affliction may lie in his bowels, as gold in a mine, and be of no use to him; but this bell that tells me of his affliction, digs out, and applies that gold to me: if by this consideration of another's danger, I take mine own into contemplation, and so secure myself, by making my recourse to my God, who is our only security.

source:luminarium.org
    ویرایش توسط Angel : https://forum.motarjemonline.com/member/63-angel در ساعت 09-15-2010, 08:05 PM

I believed my wisdom
    ... Killed the whys as I grew ... Yet the time has taught me ... The whys are grown too
    Angel

Click to Read My Other Poems

Comment I

One of the most prevalent works in which metaphysical conceit is used is in John Donne’s Meditation 17. In this work, Donne compares human life to a chapter in a book. “…all mankind is of one author and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated”. This is a clear comparison to death; when we die, he compares our death or passing to a language simply being translated. He also says that “God employs several translators”, meaning that there are many ways that death occurs. “Some pieces are translated by age, some by sickness…”.

Another metaphor in Meditation 17 is when Donne compares a man to an island, insisting that man is not an island; “No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main”. Donne is saying that no person is its own entity, but that a person is a part of “society”, which is represented as the continent in the passage.

Ultimately, John Donne expresses his ideas via metaphysical conceit in order to have the reader think about what he is saying as well as try to relate his message to the reader on a semi-personal basis. Not all people during Donne’s time period were educated, or could read for that matter. By using metaphors and comparing ideas to simple things such as books, compasses, the sun, etc., Donne is possibly expressing his idea to the reader in a more simplified form. His metaphors are comprehensible as well as literal expressions of his religious and moral beliefs, his beliefs as a preacher as well as a man.

source:associatedcontent.com

I believed my wisdom
    ... Killed the whys as I grew ... Yet the time has taught me ... The whys are grown too
    Angel

Click to Read My Other Poems

نظر

هیچ انسانی همچون جزیره نیست

جان دان

مکاشفه شماره 17

اینک که دیگر بار این ناقوس گوشنوازانه نواخته می شود ، به من می گوید که تو باید بمیری .

شاید کسی که این ناقوس برای او نواخته می شود، آنسان بیمار باشد که ندای آن را درنیابد. و شاید من هم به گمانم حالم از آن چه که هست بهتر بنماید، چنان که اطرافیانم که واقف بر احوالم هستند، عامل نواختن زنگ شده باشند و من بی خبر. کلیسا کاتولیک است و عمومیت دارد. اعمالش برای آحاد مردم است. زمانی که کلیسا، کودکی را غسل تعمید می دهد، این عمل متوجه من نیز می شود، چراکه از آن پس در باطن این کودک، فکرتی می روید که فکرت من نیز هست و بدین طریق کودک، ممزوج جمعی می شود که من هم جزء آن جمع هستم. و آن دم که کلیسا انسانی را به خاک می سپارد، این نیز متوجه من است، از آن روی که کلیت بشریت مجلدی واحد و نگاشتۀ نگارنده ای واحد است. آنگاه که انسانی می میرد، فصلی از این کتاب جدا نمی شود، لیکن به زبانی بهتر ترجمان می یابد و تمام فصول این کتاب نیز باید ترجمان یابد و بدان سبب است که خداوند خیل مترجمان را به کار می گمارد. برخی از قطعه ها را عمر ترجمان می دهد، برخی را امراض، جنگ و عدالت نیز سهم خویش را انجام می دهند. باری، این دست خداوند است که در هر ترجمان نمایان است وهم اوست که اوراق پریشان ما را دیگربار، به هیئت مجلدی درمی آورد و کتابخانه ای که در آن، هر کتاب گشوده بر کتابی دیگر است، پذیرای این مجلد می شود. نیز همان حالت است، آن زمان که ناقوس برای موعظه ای نواخته می شود و به درستی که تنها واعظ را فرانمی خواند و روی سخنش با جماعت است. همانا که این ناقوس، ندایی برای همگان است ومنش به زیادت، حال که رنجوری بدین سان من را به آستانۀ آن نزدیک کرده است.

این که ناقوس کدامین دستور دینی می بایست در سحرگاه برای عابدان نواخته شود ( آنجا که زهد ، بزرگ منشی ، دیانت و عزت به هم آمیخته اند ) بیشتر محل مجادله است تا عریضه ای به پای محکمه و نیز معین است که سحرگاه، هنگامۀ نواخته شدن آن باشد تا عابدان سحرخیز باشند. اگر منزلت این ناقوس را که به هنگام عبادت شامگاهی ما نواخته می شود، به نیکی دریابیم، به رضامندی خواهان تصاحب آن می شویم. با سحرخیزی و ابرام در کار میسر است که نوای ناقوس را از آن خود کنیم، آن قسم که صاحب اصلی آن، دارایش است. کسی که ناقوسش نواخته می شود، باوجود این که نوای ناقوس ازهم گسسته می نماید، به آن می اندیشد و از آن دم که آن حالت بر او نمودار می گردد، به وصل خداوند می رسد. کیست که بر دمیدن آفتاب در پهنۀ آسمان نظر ندوزد؟ باری کیست که نگاهش را از افروزه ای برگیرد، آنگاه که یکباره آسمان را نورباران می کند؟ کیست که به نوای هیچ ناقوسی گوش فرا ندهد، ناقوسی که به مجرد فرصتی مترصد نواخته شدن است؟ لیک کیست که بتواند رادع نوای ناقوسی شود که بخشی از وی را از این جهان گسیل می دهد؟

هیچ انسانی همچون جزیره نیست. هر انسانی در تمامت خویش جزیی از یک قاره است، قسمتی از بخش اصلی آن. اگر دریا کلوخ پاره ای را فروشوید و همراه خود ببرد، از اروپا کاسته می شود، همان گونه که اگر دماغۀ کوهی را فرو شوید و همراه خود ببرد یا که عمارت دوست شما یا حتی عمارت خود شما را فروشوید و … مرگ هر انسان موجب تقلیل من است، از آن روی که من به آدمی دچارم، لاجرم هیچ گاه در پی آن نباش که صاحب زنگ را بیابی. بدان که از برای توست.

نه قادریم که نامش را تمنای سیه روزی بگذاریم و نه حتی عاریت سیه روزی، بدان سبب که به حد کفایت سیه روز نیستیم، اما می بایست از پس سرای دیگر در پذیرا شدن سیه روزی همسایگان بیشتر کوشیم. به راستی که اگر از پس آن برآییم، بر این آز جای هیچ خرده گیری نباشد، چراکه همانا محنت گنجینه است و معدودند آدمیانی که به قدر کفایت از آن بهره مندند. هیچ انسانی به قدر کفایت محنت زده نیست، زیرا که از آن بالنده و برومند نمی شود تا نزد خداوند شایسته و بایسته گردد. چه بسا که انسانی، گنجینه اش را به صورت شمش یا پاره ای زر همراه داشته باشد، ولی آن را به شکل سکۀ رایج زمان ضرب نزده باشد و هنگام سفر باشد، اما گنجینه اش به پشیزی نیرزد. دردمندی فی ذاته گنجینه است ولی به هنگام نیاز، همچون سکۀ رایج زمان نیست و فایدتی ندارد، جز آنکه ما را به سرای ابدی خویش، بهشت، نزدیک و نزدیکتر می کند. و شاید که دیگری نیز تا سرحد مرگ ناخوش باشد و محنتش در اندرون وی جاخوش کرده باشد، به دور از فایدت آنسان که زر در معدن. باری، این ناقوس است که مرا از محنت او آگاه می سازد، دل معدن می کاود و آن زر به کارم می بندد: باشد که با التفات به خطر دیگران، به مخاطرات خویش نیز بیندیشم و با توکل به خداوند به راحت و آرامی بی بدیل رسم، چرا که نیست راحت و آرامی جز او.

برگردان به فارسی: مهران صفوی
      ویرایش توسط Mehran : https://forum.motarjemonline.com/member/8-mehran در ساعت 08-22-2011, 11:56 PM
      Make love ...not war

نظر

این نوشته جان دان رو خیلی دوست دارم و ترجمه ی آقای صفوی هم فوق العاده عالی بود. فقط لازم دونستم که یک نکته رو در مورد خط آخر یادآوری کنم. انسان به خدا توکل می‏کنه نه توسل. توسل به معنی وسیله قرار دادن بین انسان و خداست، ما به ائمه و پیامبران توسل میکنیم نه به خدا.
        ویرایش توسط angie : https://forum.motarjemonline.com/member/745-angie در ساعت 05-22-2011, 03:23 PM
        Become what you are

نظر

صبر کنید ..
        X